Low..ri..der.. Take a little trip with me
New exhausts and air cleaner for the 48

Project Underground: Accomplished!

Version 3

The entire project has taken over two years to complete but it was well worth it.  The hardest part was the just gutting the basement, letting contractors replace the water displacement system (sump pump and drainage), and then waiting a year before I did any construction to see if water still found it's way into the rooms.

The actual construction took about 14 months. 

Looking back the basement went through many different looks.  It started with the original finished basement with horrible carpet, no insulation, bad plumbing runs, a sump pump pit in the main room, and multiple leaks.

After a few major rainstorms and the loss of power several times, my sump pump just wasn't able to keep up. I knew I had to decide if I was going to redo the basement or give up and just use it as an unfinished basement.  I went with the former and hired contractors to cut up the perimeter of the interior floor, replace the drainage tubing, and move my sump pit.  (See eariler posts)

Jump to a year or so later, and I began the long road towards finishing the basement.  With B's help, I hired plumbers to replace the poor pipe runs that were always in the way.   Next came the carpenters to put up the framing around the rooms.  B and I worked on the electrical after that.  Then along came drywalling. I still have visions of drywall dust lingering everywhere.  Actually, I think I'm still finding places in the house where dust came from the basement.

Then the real fun began with the brick walls, ceramic floor tiles, glass tile back splash, and dri-core flooring projects.  After that, painting began and the light of the end of the tunnel was starting to show.  Next came the engineered hardwood flooring, wall trim, and actually putting all the light fixtures, electrical covers, and final touches into place.

It wasn't until the final weeks of putting in the flooring and touching up the paint that I realized how much work it took to remodel a basement.  My back still shudders at the labor that went into it.  Now when I see drywall waiting to be installed, I can help be think of all the sanding I had to do for mine.

Here's the before shots of the stairway, bar area, and back room when they were completely gutted.  Check out the ugly carpet on the stairs. That use to cover the whole floor.   

So happy that it's finished and I wouldn't change a thing.  And a huge Thanks go out to B and N for all the support and help.  I couldn't have done it on my own.

  Master 001  

Master 002 

Master 006

Master 009

 

 

Comments

Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

The comments to this entry are closed.