When I moved into my house, I knew a few things were going to eventually cause headaches down the road. The biggest one was a damp crawlspace. Thankfully, a dry summer, rerouted gutter downspouts and increased landscape grading seemed to help dry out the crawlspace.
But the next home repair wasn't something I felt comfortable tackling on my own. The previous owner had tried putting in a bathroom dormer structure but failed miserably with siding it correctly. They left a furnace outlet pipe resting directly against the bathroom's outer wall.
Eventually rain has made it's way around the slipshod job and started to leak through the ceiling into the room below the bathroom. The leak hasn't turned into a torrent of water yet but it's bad enough that it's starting to cause some damage. So before the fall rains arrive, I called various contractors to get quotes for the job.
The whole project requires: 1.) relocating the furnace outlet vent away from the dormer 2.) repairing the roof once the old outlet vent is removed 3.) and finally replacing the "siding" on the dormer. I forgot to mention the previous owner had the builder put soffit material around the dormer instead of using actual siding material. (Or the builder did this on their own, it's anybody's guess) This really made me start to wonder what else the person did wrong. (Previous memories of insulation put in backward come to mind.)
After discussing with different contractors, I went with Larkin Remodelers for the shingle and siding work and Baron Sweeps for moving the duct work inside the house. Why two vendors? I tried getting one one person to tackle the entire job but wasn't having any luck for several weeks. Everyone either told me they didn't handle one aspect or they said they could but never called me back.
Both companies were very accommodating and flexible. For example, the old furnace outlet had an extremely heavy chimney pipe made out of some kind of ceramic material. I'm guessing it weighed a few hundred pounds and the length was around 6-8ft long. The first contractor left the old furnace outlet in place, at my request, since I didn't want to have it removed which would leave a hole in the roof until the second contractor came along to finish the job. The Larkin crew was able to break it in half and remove all of it in under an hour. Also, Larkin had a job cancel on them and asked if I wanted them to come back the next day to finish the siding work instead of the following Monday which we had originally scheduled. I'm glad they were able to do it while I was home the entire time, since I wanted to see what the whole process entailed.
I'm very happy with the completed work and look forward to facing future rain days without the worrisome dread normally associated with leaky ceilings. And the dormer looks so much better with new siding, sans an ugly furnace outlet.