Over the last 2 years I have gone through a minor war with my basement. But over the last few months, the battle slowly turned in my favor. When I purchased the house, I knew the basement was done in a hurry and it was easy to see where they took shortcuts.
A few of the things we've corrected since then:
- Rerouted the plumbing/sewer lines into the crawlspace
- Re-framed all walls
- Rewired electric to code
- Installed recessed lighting
- Updated the water-proofing system and relocated the sump pump
- Replaced inefficient windows
- Removed tile/carpet/linoleum
There's more work still to do. The above photo doesn't show all the drywall work that's been done since it was taken. I hired a friend of ours, N, who's a pro with construction, to lead the drywall project. B already knew alot about hanging and mudding, but I'm a newb beyond patching holes. So it's been a great learning experience.