->russia Feed

Fire strikes new bridge in Vladivostok

Vladivostok's new bridge over the Golden Horn Bay. (More videos and photos found here. Provided by Ilya Kuskalo)

A fire broke out on the new bridge in Vladivostok last Monday night.  The bridge is still under construction so there was no traffic during the time of the incident.  It happened in the evening after workers were done for the day.  Unfortunately, due to the height of the bridge and the on going construction, firemen had difficulty containing the fire.  It was reported that they eventually attacked the fire from below the bridge.  I haven't heard if anyone was injured or how much damage was done.  Hopefully, the fire was limited to the temporary construction areas and not the bridge itself. 

Not a new breed, but definitely a hybrid

Lucia's lineage may need updating once more.  I happened upon some shepherd / coonhound mixes that look like her. Here's a possible beagle/german shepherd/coonhound mix that's a dead ringer for her. There's no way she's only a three breed mix but I figure if I can narrow her down to the more predominent breeds, I'll know what hybrid to call her.


One of my previous post's referred to discovering a new breed of dog.  Actually, "breed" refers to purebred dogs.  Mixed breeds are called hybrids. 

Link to my previous "breed" post

Breed discovered

Many people ask me what kind of dog Lucia is.  I don't have an answer except to say "a good dog".  Fortunately, I stumbled upon a photo of what could be her twin.  After a little more research I think I've confirmed what other breeds are in her bloodline.

Here are a few photos of other dogs that match her color and appearance:

Not Lucia


Still not Lucia


Also not Lucia

Here's what Lucia looks like.

My Lucia

The first three all claim to be Beagle/German Shepherd mixes.  I haven't found any other dominant breeds that come close to her physical characteristics.  So it looks like I have a new answer for queries besides saying "a purebred Russian street dog" 

got stuff?

  Lucia unpacking

-Lucia takes a break-

That's the way I felt after the delivery of all my stuff.  Lucia made sure everything went into the right rooms while I checked off the inventory as boxes came off the truck.  Four hours later, I had all my posessions under one roof again. 

My car's battery was flat as I expected it would be.  A charger gave the FJ enough juice to get me to an auto parts store so I could replace it.  I pitched the scooter battery before shipping.  It was the original battery.  So that put's the life of the battery at 6 years.  Not bad.

I able to get to the DMV for the FJ's temporary license plate tags.  The scooter wasn't as easy to title and register though.  I forgot to grab a couple pieces of paperwork so I'll finish it up when I go back after my emissions and safety check on the FJ.  Basically, I forgot to get the approved clearance documents from customs saying the scooter meets EPA requirements.   But all in due time. I'm just glad I have the FJ running again. 



It's really no surprise at this point..  My car and HHE are now being held up by a financial argument between the Russian company that packed everything and the U.S. contracting agency that organized the shipping.  A foul-up by the U.S. company caused additional fees to be incurred during the UAB air shipment.  The U.S. rep for the company offer the Russian a "you pay 1/2, we'll pay half" deal.  The Russian company, rightfully so, said "We told you so and you didn't listen, so you pay all the fees".  To the Russians credit, they admitted the mud left on the car was their fault and paid all the cleaning fees to have it ready for USDA's re-inspection.  Here's the fun part, the U.S contractor can't release the rest of my stuff from Seattle until someone pays the additional bill and the paperwork is cleared.  Basically, they're holding it because they don't want to eat the extra fee they created.

My technician for the U.S shipping contractor quit in the middle of all this.  I suspected something was up before she gave her two weeks notice, mainly due to her lack of following up with the packers queries and requests.  So it's back to making phone calls again to make sure this doesn't get hung up for the 3rd time.

For any new FSO reading this, normally shipments between old and new posts go fairly smoothly.  This is the fourth one I've done and only the first time things have gone so horrible wrong.  I threw up red flags before my packout and asked for this U.S company to be removed from the equation.  It made no sense having two companies trying to coordinate what one company can do better by itself.  I was told the Dept has to go with the most reasonable quote, even if it will cost more money and time in the long run.  My advice, even though your powerless at times, keep a close tab on where everything is at all times.  Keep communications open and ask to be given updates frequently. When something happens you'll at least be able to work with the shippers on a faster solution.  I've seen shipments sit in a loading dock for weeks because no one answered an email and said the owner has arrived at post you can release and ship it now.  And it could easily been avoided by the owner sending an email to ask for a status update.